On the 3rd and 4th February 2020, the director of the GS-Foundation, on invitation of the UNODC (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime), attended the 3rd plenary meeting of the GCTF (Global Counterterrorist Forum) for the capacity-building in the West Africa Region.
The topics of this meeting were discussed on a very high and intense level in different workshops:
- Enhancing Police Cooperation
- Border Security Management
- Countering Terrorist Financing
- Preventing Violent Extremism and Integration of Gender Perspectives in Counterterrorism Responses
- Foreign Terrorist Fighter s and Returnees
- Preventing Terrorists from Acquiring Weapons, Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs), Ammunition and Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS)
The workshop on Border Security Management was moderated by Matthias Schwarz, the director of the GS-Foundation.
The conclusions of the meeting will be the basis for future projects to enhance the capabilities of the member states to fight terrorism and crime. The GS-Foundation will assist international organizations to design, develop and manage some of these projects.
The Global Counterterrorism Forum (GCTF) is an international forum of 29 countries and the European Union with an overarching mission of reducing the vulnerability of people worldwide to terrorism by preventing, combating, and prosecuting terrorist acts and countering incitement and recruitment to terrorism.
The forum brings together experts and practitioners from countries and regions around the world to share experiences and expertise, and develop tools and strategies on how to counter the evolving terrorist threat. The GCTF is Co-Chaired by Germany and Algeria.